The Fairgreen NS is located on Railway Road, just off the Main St. in Belturbet. The school’s name and address are an indication of its historic connections. The name “Fairgreen” comes from the “Fair” or market for farmers, which used to be held nearby on the “Green” or grassy area where the Happy Days pre/after school care building now stands. Railway Road is a reminder of the central role Belturbet played in the heyday of the trains, with the refurbished station buildings just a short distance from the school.
The school was originally built in 1867, as a two-storey building. The schoolroom was upstairs, and the teacher’s residence downstairs. At that time, the play area was the “Pleasure Gardens” – a public park – located on the site where St. Bricin’s College now stands.
In 1931, the school was redesigned and rebuilt as a single storey building, with no residential area. Initially still a one-teacher school, it increased to a two-teacher school in 1967 with the amalgamation of Drumaloor NS.
For more than half a century, the basic structure remained the same. Although small in size, it served its purpose well. The new millennium brought new challenges, however, and it became obvious that a more modern structure was needed to cater for the needs of the children of the 21st century. The school was extended, renovated and refurbished in 2004, and currently has two bright modern classrooms, a sizeable hall, a learning support/resource room, office and computer room.
Just like our predecessors, we aim to provide education of the highest quality for our students.